If you are interested in learning the art of wearing perfume, you must first learn how to buy the right one. In this post, we will provide you tips and tricks on how to go about buying the right perfume for your needs.
1.. Do not buy perfume solely based on how it smells on someone else. Scents change when added to skin. We each have our own body odor. Perfumes mix with that odor, creating a unique scent for each person.
2. Do not buy perfume online unless you have already tested it. Go to a store and test the perfume on your skin. Try to test no more than four at a time. By the fourth smell test, your olfactory senses will have been inundated with scent and will not be functioning at its best. Also, by the fourth test, you will be starting to run out of clean skin to use.
3. When going perfume shopping, don’t spray any perfume or use any scented body lotion or soap on your skin. Also, try to avoid wearing clothes with strong scents. This includes scents from fabric softeners, perfume, laundry detergent, and factory made fabrics. This will allow you to test perfumes relatively free of interference.
4. If offered, spray your first test on a card or paper. Some stores offer cards or thick pieces of paper specifically for sampling perfume scents, allowing the shopper to remain free of scent. This is a great way to eliminate perfumes initially. But remember: what smells great on paper, may not smell as great on you.
5. Don’t buy a scent solely based on its scent on a paper. Spray the scent on your skin to get a more accurate after-smell.
6. When spraying perfumes on your skin to test, spray them far apart from each other. This will prevent the scents from mixing. For example, you can spray or dab perfumes on your wrists and the inside of your elbows. This is the other reason why you should limit your testing to four perfumes a day.
7. If you have time or if this perfume will be an expensive investment, we recommend you narrow down your choice to two, but preferably one, and return a couple of days later. This way, you can try out the perfume with a relatively clean olfactory system and make a more accurate judgement.
8. Know that you can choose to have only one scent or a few to fit your needs. For example, if you live in an area that is very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, you may need to buy two perfumes: one for each weather. Other examples are: night vs. day; work vs. clubbing; family gatherings vs. dates; or informal vs. formal events. So, before you make that final choice, know how or where you want to use your perfume.
Ladies! We are excited to say, we now have an 8 week course on elegant deportment. It is the most in-depth deportment course on the internet, created by family and friends of diplomats and finishing school graduates. The course covers formal etiquette and upper-class mannerisms with exercises, lessons, and tips on how to sit, walk, and so much more. To sign up, click here.
Poise, grace, elegance, and savoir-faire are the end result of study and practice.