If you are fortunate enough to have people working for you in your home or if you are marrying into a family who has servants, this post is for you. We’ve been seeing a lot of blunders lately that are unnecessary.
Ladies, please remember consideration and kindness goes a long way. Acting vulgar or mean-spirited will not benefit you in the long run. It will only hurt you and those close to you. So, here are the reasons why you should treat your staff properly.
1.. It’s just the right, kind, and humane thing to do.
2. It keeps turnover low. This is important because it is not safe for you to have servants constantly going in and out. The higher the turnover, the more you are bound to come across bad ones.
3. It keeps gossiping to a minimum about your family in other households. Your servants will know more about your real lives than anyone else outside your home. And everyone gossips. It is human. The more servants you have coming and going, the more tales will be shared with new employers or other servants.
4. It makes them loyal. A loyal servant who puts your needs high is a treasure. She is less likely to quit without notice, gossip outside the family, or blackmail you.
5. It will look better in front of guests. People in general are always looking for faults and discrepancies. If your servants look mistreated, harried, stressed, malnourished – people will notice.
6. It is good for your reputation with workers. You don’t want to get a reputation in that industry as hard to please or mean or inhumane. This will make them uneasy about working for you.
7. It is good for your reputation with others. You always want to maintain a good reputation in society. Ruining it can decrease your value in business and in society. You can even be ostracized. Take for example, stories over the last decade of employers refusing to give their servants a day off or physically abusing them. Some have been arrested or have had to shut down their social media sites because of the criticism. Don’t let this be you.
8. Servants can get revenge. They have been known to kill and poison their employers as well as put bodily excrement into food and drinks out of vengeance. Some have also gone as far as to mistreat the children. They can also become passive aggressive by making deliberate mistakes to embarrass their employer in front of others. Servants have the easiest and most direct access to you and your family. In many ways you are nearly as dependent on them as they are on you. The workings of your house – its joy n smoothness – is in their hands as much as it is in yours.
9. Happy and healthy servants make a happier house.
10. It is easier to get and retain the best quality of servants. Anyone who produces high quality work knows it… knows their value… and expects to be respected and treated kindly for it. Such workers should be treasured because they are indeed treasures. However, if you gain a reputation for mistreating your servants, high-quality servants will be less likely to work for you. You may then be forced to choose from a lower quality group.
11. You may have to pay more to get better service if you don’t. As said above, those who are better will not want to work for you if you have obtained a bad reputation. But some may acquiesce for more money.
12. It doesn’t sound good to outside ears [who are always listening for anything untoward] if servants are constantly quitting. Even if you don’t have a bad reputation in the community for mistreating your servants, you still don’t want your home to become a topic of conversation in this matter. It is a pinprick of a bad gossip that can turn into a large hole. And a lady never wants that. She understands how important image is.
13. It gets servants to work better. People always work better – longer, harder, and more thorough – when they feel respected, appreciated, and well-treated. They also work better when they are happy at their job and feel a sense of satisfaction or fulfillment. Quality is more important than quantity. Understanding this can save you a lot of time, money, and trouble.
“There is no surer sign of ill breeding and ill feeling than the rude treatment of dependents. The recognition of the mutual obligation of master and man, and mistress and maid, is a certain sign of the true gentleman and lady. Policy, as well as good breeding, inculcates the necessity of gentle treatment and courteous behaviour to servants, who will seldom fail to respond with a more zealous service and a readier obedience to exactions and commands rendered less harsh and domineering by a soft word and a subdued mastery.”