Jewelry is one of the easiest and most enjoyable ways for women to invest their money. But too many women are unaware of this option. So, in this article, we will discuss the basics for investing in jewelry. Let’s start with value…
WHY IS VALUE IMPORTANT
As we all know, some jewelry pieces are more expensive than others. Sometimes, the price tag is justified and sometimes it is not. Every lady should understand this phenomena when shopping.
Not all expensive jewelry pieces have high value. Some prices are based solely on the brand name and not the quality.
This is important to understand because of the concept of value… long-term value. What will the piece be worth 50 years from the time you bought it… 100 years…
Now, jewelry is certainly not the best way to invest money. There are better investment strategies of which women can take advantage. However, jewelry is an essential aspect to every woman’s wardrobe. So, a lot of money is usually spent in this area. So, why not put it to use? Why not use it as an investment strategy?
Now, consider this: is it better to spend $300 on a fake gold necklace that you will be un-able to sell in the future and that you will most likely need to replace or is it better to buy a similar one for $600 that you will be able to sell or pass down to your children as inheritance in the future?
“My poor dad always told me to me go to school and get a high-paying job. That’s not creating wealth. That’s a job. My rich dad on the other hand always says work for assets. There are basically 4 asset classes that makes a person rich – business, real estate, paper, and commodities.” – Success Resources
THREE TYPES OF JEWELRY
When browsing through ads and websites, you will usually come across jewelry separated into 3 categories. They are fine jewelry, fashion jewelry, and estate jewelry. Now, let’s briefly discuss what each means for the buyer…
Fine Jewelry – is higher-end jewelry that is more expensive than fashion jewelry. It is usually made of higher quality materials such as gold or platinum. Some jewelers also include sterling silver or 92.5% fine silver in the list. Fine jewelry also tends to have higher quality stones such as diamonds, gemstones, and pearls as well as designs. The embellishments are usually sharper, and often more intricate.
Fashion Jewelry (aka costume jewelry) – is lower-end jewelry that is more affordable. It is usually made of stainless steel or cheaper materials. And the stones used tend to be fake. Because of the lower quality materials used, it tends to have little to no re-sale value.
Estate Jewelry – is second-hand or pre-owned jewelry, that is usually part of the ‘estate’ of a deceased person. It includes fashion jewelry and fine jewelry.
WHY INVESTING IN FINE JEWELRY IS BENEFICIAL
1. Re-sale value. Fine jewels and gems can often be sold to an auction house, jewelry store or pawn shop for a return. This is not something only the poor do. Many aristocrats, royals, and socialites have sold their jewelry over the years as well as bought jewelry sold by others.
If you want an example, research the high-price jewelry auctions held at Christie’s over the past decade. On their website, they state: “We have been entrusted with many important private collections, including those of HRH The Princess Margaret, Ellen Barkin, Elizabeth Taylor, The Estate of Huguette M. Clark, Mrs. Lily Safra, and Mrs. Betsy Bloomingdale which have achieved record prices and attracted a global audience of visitors and collectors to our salerooms.”
2. Liquidity. Selling jewelry is one of the easiest and fastest ways to get cash. Of course the faster you try to sell, the more likely you are going to lose money. But still there are times expediency is needed. Overall, the key to making the most money is buying high-quality jewelry at a low cost, selling said jewelry to an auction house, and selling said jewelry at the right time.
3. Inheritance. Fine jewelry and gems have the longest life. So, they are often passed down generations. What does this mean? Your descendants get to inherit a portion of your wealth through your jewelry. And at that point, they can decide if they want to store it, wear it, or sell it.
4. Longevity. With general maintenance, fine jewelry can be worn for many years and even passed down to descendants. On the other hand, costume jewelry tends to change colors within the first year or two. So, they need to be replaced often.
HOW TO INVEST IN JEWELRY
Now, we don’t think women should only buy fine jewelry. There are so many wonderful options out there that have no re-sale value. Fashion jewelry does have its own charm. But we do believe all women should evaluate their purchasing strategy.
Here are 6 tips for buying fine jewelry responsibly:
- Buy high quality metals like gold or platinum.
- Buy gold over platinum. And platinum over sterling silver.
- Buy higher carats over lower.
- Buy real stones.
- Buy high-quality gems over low-quality.
- Buy at a good price.
BIGGEST JEWELRY AUCTIONS IN HISTORY
We know many women are enjoying an increase in wealth. We love that. But since this is a school, we feel compelled to remind all women to remember: it is not just important to gain wealth, it is also important to maintain it.
“It is not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki